Mapeo de Experiencias Ene-Mayo 2020

Feliz Año!

Ante todo, quería darles la bienvenida al grupo de mapeo este nuevo año. Este correo es una introducción a donde estamos en el trabajo, y dos próximos pasos.

Cómo algunos saben, RICAP estará presentando un panorama breve a la ECSA en mayo de las iniciativas de ciencia participativa y ciudadana en la región a base de una revisión bibliometrica.

Por ahora, los pasos siguientes son:

(1) Comentar sobre este formulario. El formulario fue elaborado a base de los formularios de los mapeos de WCS, Instituto Humboldt, y el Observatorio Ciudadano, y será la base de la estructura de datos que estaremos colectando en las dos etapas (bibliometricas y formulario implementado). El formulario esta abierto para comentarios hasta el 30 de enero .

(2) Llenar este doodle para decidir en la hora y fecha para convocar una reunion para finalizar el formulario y dividir las próximas tareas. El doodle esta abierto hasta el 24 de enero .

Mil gracias y con emoción de seguir adelante!

Natalia

Gracias Natalia; el formulario me pareció muy completo. Afectuoso saludo desde Cartagena de Indias, Colombia.

1 me gusta

Happy new year to everyone! :slight_smile:

@npiland I like the survey. The answers will give us a good overview of citizen science practice in the region.

I have some comments that may help to improve it even more (I couldn’t put it in the document, so I send it right here):

1. Many research groups conduct science projects that have the characteristics of citizen science, but these people do not know citizen science and, therefore, they would not classify their project in this way and will not answer the survey. It would be good to explain in one or two sentences what is being considered as citizen science, in order to make the target audience of the survey clearer.

2. The survey is not anonymous (name, e-mail, organization, etc. are collected in it). In this case, one must question the need for it to be appreciated by a research ethics committee (REC). I am not sure if this is the case, but this is a common question in studies like this. The comment is just to think about it more.

3. I found the survey quite long (51 questions in 11 categories). I think we are exploring many categories and going very deeply and almost all of them. If the effort required to answer the survey becomes a problem, I suggest focusing on fewer categories. My opinion is that the categories “Manejo de datos”,“Financiacion” and “Redes” are the ones less generalizable/ applicable to all projects and perhaps they are less important if the idea is to get an overview.

4. Some questions aggregate several other questions within them making them quite complex/laborious to answer. This is the case with the question like “Describe briefly what, who, where, when, and how this citizen science experience was/has been implemented.” Depending on the number of respondents, it is very difficult to get accurate information on questions like this.

The survey is great. It will bring relevant and valuable information for the community. If you need help translating into Portuguese and want me to participate, let me know. I will be happy to work on it.

4 Me gusta

Hola @lesandrop !

We chatted about your comments (and a few others we received from @cmluis, @felipe.castilla, and @mapc, thank you to all!), and we are in agreement that the survey we have is very long and detailed in a way that is potentially not necessary. We decided that for the first part we will use the survey as is as the structure for the database in bibliometric data collection and then circle back and decide what information we can gather from published sources/Internet, and what questions we truly want to answer with survey-based responses. As there are some places where surveys have already been implemented, we don’t want to burn everyone out! We’d also love help with the Portuguese-- but to save work, that will be a task for after the ECSA.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and we look forward to more collaboration and conversation! Let us know if there’s anything specific you’d like to collaborate or chat about. The decisions made in this meeting can be found here, as well as a doodle in case you’d like to participate in the next meeting. We are also available for one-on-one meetings or if you have written out comments like the above. We love to see the forum “con vida” as @KarenSoacha says :slight_smile:

3 Me gusta

Many thanks for the reply, @npiland. I gave feedback there in the summary of the last meeting. I am starting classes here at PUC Minas and, unfortunately, I’m in the midst of so many teaching activities, so I still haven’t been able to allocate a time that could participate in a meeting. But I really want to do it.

1 me gusta

No worries! We will keep updating you :slight_smile:

1 me gusta